Application DeadlineThe application deadline for the TCF Refugee Award is January 31st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
DescriptionThe TCF Refugee Award is for a refugee who has shown courage and determination while adapting to a new language and culture in Canada. It is valued at $2,500.
The TCF Refugee Award recognizes a student who:
- Entered Canada as a refugee
- Completed Grade 12 or the equivalent
- Studied English as an additional language since arriving in Canada
- Wishes to study in a vocational or academic program at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia
- Must be a Grade 12 or equivalent graduate who wishes to attend a BC post-secondary institution
- Documented English language coursework at the secondary level
- Documented school or community volunteer service
- A description of the applicant’s life before coming to Canadaa. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
- A personal essay (original copy signed by the applicant)a. Topic: How a post-secondary education will enable the applicant to contribute to Canadian society.
b. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
- Two letters of reference:a. One from a teacher regarding academic performance
b. One from an administrator, counsellor, coach, sponsor, or coordinator regarding school or community volunteer service
- Documented proof of permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- Transcripts documenting English language coursework or equivalent
- Completed application and supporting documents. Click here to download the TCF Refugee Award Application Form.